Friday, January 26, 2007

Creation Story Simularities

Why do so many creation stories from so many diferent parts of the world contain such similar themes and motifs? How would a Buddhist asnwer this question? It would probably be hard for a Buddhist to answer this question because they believe there is no beginning or end. According to Buddhism, "eternity means being neither created nor adorned but remaining in the original existence." Since they believe that we were neither created nor adorned, that means that life itself is not something that can be grasped through our five senses.
A buddhist would probably think that creation stories are just stories that people made up. They would probably say all the creation stories were similiar because they were all made up and each creation story took something from another creation story that was made up before it. Since buddhist believe there is no beginning or end, it would just about be impossible for them to believe in a creation story.
A Buddhist might also say that the creations stories are so similiar because all of the cultures are connected in some way. They may believe that the creator is in everything and everything is in the creator. They may think that everyone around the world were created (or not created) in the same way. Because they think that everything has just always been, they pobably would say that is why all the creation stories are so similiar.

Krista Walley, Nicole Baker, Ashley Jones, Enotris Armstrong

12 comments:

cheryl j said...

This does not hold true for me. No offense to your group or to Buddhists I respect each persons right to their beleifs. The belief that everything has always been here doesn't agree with my beleif in Creation. I do agree that Creation stories at some point could possibly be made up and added to by different cultures seeming to answer the question of similarities of stories. You did a good job in catching my attention.

Robin Burkhalter said...

There doesn't seem to be a lot of absolutes in Buddhisms - not in beginnings or ends anyway. Do they believe in time at all? Does birth and death have any meaning? Would be interesting to know. . . I think I'll read up more on this one.

Jennifer Hyatt said...

I think buddhism was a very interesting religion to choose. This group did very well as describing to us their beliefs. I find their beliefs very odd, but I respect them. Everyone has the right to choose what they believe and who am I to judge them.

kristin meadows said...

well just from experience buddists are very unsure of them selves from my point of view. i spent two weeks in a buddist country. what i got from that country and the beliefs of the native people it is either beilieve what we believe or get out of our country. they do not welcome other religions very well.

stacy said...

This is a very interesting point of view. I just do not see how they believe that though. If they think there is no beginning or end how do they believe in child birth? There is a beginning to that. And since everyone is born that then somehow they have to believe in a beginning. There has to be someone who was created so that they could reproduce. Now, i might could understand how they do not believe in an end. I guess they just keep on thinking that people are born and there is never an end. I dont see how, but it is definitely an interesting point of view.

ashley j said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ashley j said...

Hi Robin.. You are so right. They didnt have a beginning nor an end. Really, I don't know how they even existed without a beginning, and I don't know how would they end without an ending. Its actually weird, but everyone have their own opinion and religion type.

ashley j said...

Hi Stacey. You're right. They don't believe in beginning so how would someone be born? They consider birth from minerals of the earth. They don't believe in going to the hospital and giving birth. They see it kind of as a mind thing.

ashley j said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krista Walley said...

Hi Jennifer! I agree with you, Buddhism was an interesting topic to choose because I didn't really know that much about their religion. I also believe that their beliefs are VERY odd.

Krista Walley said...

Hi Cheryl! This did not hold true for me either. I definetely believe that God was our one and only creator. I also believe that creation stories could be made up. Actually, I don't see how they couldn't. I believe that God created us and everyone else too. I think that many times, we as americans and christians get it in our heads that God only created Americans. I believe that God created every single thing on this earth and personally I feel like any other beliefs were made up.

Krista Walley said...

Hi Stacey! I don't understand how they don't believe in a beginning or end either. I mean, where do they think people come from and where do they go when they die. I don't see how they don't believe in a beginning when the babies come. Do they think that they have always been in the mothers womb or what. And what do the believe about death. I know they have experienced death. What do they think is happening, the dead person is just asleep. I would like to talk to a Buddhist myself to see exactly how they would answer my questions.